Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something I may
earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This week we’re making one of my favorite desserts - the baby bundt chocolate cake - from one of my favorite restaurants - Corner Bakery Cafe. Their baby bundt cake checks a lot of boxes, it's the perfect size, soft, chocolatey, delicious, and just pure perfection. So of course I had to attempt to recreate it and ta-da here we are.
To make this easier, I doctored a Betty Crocker cake mix. The internet is filled with tons of tips and tricks on how to make a box cake mix taste like it was made from scratch and the sour cream hack is wholeheartedly my favorite. The other hacks used include adding an extra egg, using milk instead of water, butter instead of oil, and adding vanilla extract. As always, these substitutions are optional.
The only special equipment needed is the mini bundt pans/molds. I got mine on sale from Joann, but you can get them from Amazon for about the same price. They are easy to clean, non-stick, and make about the same size cakes as the ones from Corner Bakery. After baking the cakes, the next thing is the ganache which is very simple and only requires two ingredients. Once the cakes are ‘ganached’ they are ready to serve and amazing on their own or paired with a nice cup of coffee. So let's get to baking. Have fun and enjoy!
1 Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
1 ¼ cups Milk
½ Butter (Melted)
⅓ cup Sour Cream
1tsp Vanilla Extract
½ cup Milk
↪ use less milk for a thicker ganache
↪ use more milk for a thinner ganache
1. Preheat oven to 325℉. Lightly grease and flour the mini bundt molds.
2. In a large bowl, place all the cake ingredients and whisk/beat on low speed with an electric mixer until evenly combined.
3. Pour the batter into the molds leaving an inch of space for rising. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
4. Allow cakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack, gently tap to remove cakes from the molds, and continue to cool for another 10 minutes.
5. While the cakes cool, begin to prepare the ganache. Chop the semi-sweet chocolate bar into even pieces and place in a medium-sized bowl.
6. Heat the milk in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. When hot, pour the milk over the chocolate and set aside for about 3 minutes so the chocolate can begin to melt. Then whisk until chocolate and milk are combined.
7. Pour the chocolate ganache over the mini bundt cakes and let the chocolate set. Serve and enjoy!