A homemade version of a popular take-out meal that can be enjoyed even on Sundays. These tasty chicken minis are made using diced & marinated chicken thighs, which are double-coated & deep fried till cooked & crispy.
Before placing the crispy yet juicy chicken pieces between two layers of honey buttered King’s Hawaiian Sweet Rolls, a slice of my new favorite cheese, the Cabot’s Wickedly Habanero Cheddar is melted on half of the rolls. If the spiciness of the cheese isn't a problem for you & your co-eaters, feel free to add it to more or all of the rolls.
The finished chicken minis make a perfect party appetizer or paired with some fries, pickles, and coleslaw the chicken minis become a full meal. So let’s get to cooking. Have fun and enjoy!
1 lb Boneless Chicken Thighs
1 tsp Salt & Pepper
½ tsp Paprika, Chili Powder & Garlic Powder
1 (12 pack) Dinner Rolls
¼ cup Butter (softened)
¼ cup Honey
6 Cheese Slices (optional)
Oil for Deep Frying
1 ½ cups Flour
2 tbsp Powdered Sugar
2 tsp Cornstarch
½ tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Thyme Leaves
1 cup Milk
¼ cup Pickle Juice
1. Cut chicken thighs into 1-inch pieces. Wash with equal parts vinegar & water then pat dry. Combine salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder & garlic powder in a small bowl.
2. Season the chicken with ½ of the mix, reserving the rest for later. Place seasoned chicken in a ziplock bag and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
Make Flour Dredge & Pickle Juice Dredge
3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl add the flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch, baking soda, thyme leaves & remaining seasoning. Stir till combined.
4. To another medium-sized bowl, pour in the milk, pickle juice & egg. Whisk to evenly combine. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Time to Coat
5. After 30 minutes of marinating, coat the chicken in the flour dredge, shaking off any excess then dip in the milk dredge & back in the flour dredge. Place the coated chicken on a parchment-lined baking sheet until ready to fry.
Time to Fry
6. In a large pan, heat oil until it reaches 350 degrees. Line another baking sheet with foil & place a wire rack on top.
7. Fry the chicken in batches 4-6 pieces at a time until golden brown. Place the cooked chicken on the wire rack & repeat until done.
8. Next, increase the heat of the oil to 400 degrees, then re-fry the chicken pieces in batches for 1 minute then remove from the pan. Drain again on the wire rack.
Prepare Dinner Rolls & Assemble
9. Half the rolls lengthwise then in a small bowl, stir together the softened butter & honey. Place the dinner rolls in a baking pan, brush the honey butter over the tops, & bake for 5-10 minutes or until the honey becomes tacky.
10. Remove the rolls from the oven & place the cheese slices (if using) on the bottom halves. To that add the fried chicken (1 or 2 pieces) then the top half of the rolls. Serve alone or with fries & a dipping sauce of your choosing. Enjoy!