An impressive yet easy dish, this fragrant coconut curry beef is made using seasoned chuck roast which is simmered in a broth made of coconut milk, curry powder, ginger, thyme, and other herbs until the beef is tender.
Even though this recipe uses Jamaican curry powder and arbol peppers you'll be surprised that this dish isn't very spicy which makes this dish perfect for those who don't like spicy foods. However, if you prefer a spicier curry I suggest adding the peppers at Step 4 so more of its flavor/spiciness can seep into the curry.
Served over white rice this filling, warm and delicious coconut curry beef is great on a cold fall/winter night. Naan or any other type of flatbread can also be served with beef curry and as always feel free to substitute ingredients based on your taste preference. So let’s get to cooking. Have fun and enjoy.
2lbs Boneless Beef Chuck Roast
½ tbsp Salt
½ tbsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Garam Masala
3 tbsp Curry Powder
1 tbsp Ginger Paste or Finely Grated Ginger
4 cloves Garlic (minced)
3 tbsp Brown Sugar
2 Thyme Stalks
1 cup Coconut Milk
2 cups Beef Broth
1 tbsp Ketchup
2 Potatoes (peeled and cubed)
2 Arbol Peppers (optional)
½ tbsp Garam masala
1 tsp Chili powder
Bell Peppers (Thinly Sliced)
1. Pat dry beef roast and cut it into bite-sized pieces. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, paprika & garam masala. Cover & marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2. In a large dutch oven, heat a drizzle of vegetable oil over medium-high heat and sear the beef in batches until browned on all sides. Remove the beef when done.
3. Next, add the minced garlic & ginger paste. Cook until fragrant. Return the beef to the pan. Add the curry powder, garam masala, & chili powder. Stir to combine.
4. Pour in coconut milk, beef broth, brown sugar, ketchup, and thyme stalks. Stir again & bring to a boil.
5. Cook on medium heat for 40 minutes. Then add the cubed potatoes, arbol peppers & bell peppers. Stir and continue cooking for an additional 15-20 minutes.
6. Once the potatoes & beef are tender remove from heat. Carefully remove the peppers & thyme stalks. Serve the coconut curry beef warm over white rice. Enjoy!