Let’s break fast.*Pause for laughter* This dish is a Jamaican take on a Mediterranean staple. A pita is a flat hollow unleavened bread that can be split open to hold a filling similar to coco bread but flatter. For this recipe, the pita is filled with your “normal” breakfast items like bacon and scrambled eggs. The twist is that the scrambled eggs are cooked with callaloo.
Callaloo is a popular Caribbean vegetable cooked with onions, peppers, thyme, and garlic. It can be served on its own as a side dish or paired with proteins and served as the main. The consistency of callaloo is similar to that of spinach, so if callaloo is unavailable spinach or kale is a good substitute. When cooked with the eggs, the savouriness of the callaloo provides a nice contrast against the sweetness of the ripe plantains.
Before filling the warmed pita, I chose to spread a little Hellmann’s Roasted Garlic Sauce because I’ve tried it with eggs and it just works. Butter can be used as a substitute. Once everything is placed inside the pita, this makes for a great delicious on-the-go breakfast. So let’s get to cooking. Have fun and enjoy!
1 Pita Bread
1 cup Callaloo / Spinach
1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper (deseeded)
2 Garlic Cloves
2-4 slices Bacon
1 Ripe Plantain
2 tbsp Cooking Oil
1 tbsp Butter
Salt and Pepper
Roasted Garlic Sauce/ Butter
1. Dice the onion, garlic, and pepper. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl add the eggs and scramble with a whisk or fork.
3. Remove the outer skin of the plantain and slice the plantain into rounds. Heat oil in a medium non-stick pan and cook plantains for 5 mins until brown, flip and repeat. Remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
4. In the same pan, add the bacon and cook for 5-8 mins per side. Remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
5. Melt butter in a separate pan. Then add the eggs, onions, garlic, pepper, and callaloo.
6. Scramble the egg mixture, season with salt and pepper, and cook eggs until done to your desired preference.
7. Then toast the pita bread until warm, about 1-2 mins per side. Cut the pitas in half, open, and spread the roasted garlic sauce or butter inside.
8. Next add the fried plantains, top with the scrambled eggs, and then bacon. Serve warm and enjoy!